Gallery Assistant Role
Brooke Benington is looking for an Gallery Assistant to join our small team. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual, who can adapt to multiple roles working closely with the gallery directors whilst simultaneously being largely self-sufficient.
The successful applicant will be based at Brooke Benington’s Fitzrovia gallery 2 days a week (with potential for additional days, dependent on gallery activity).
The Gallery Assistant supports the Directors on all aspects of daily operations and administration for all of Brooke Benington’s activities. They regularly interact with press, clients, and artists. The role will include gallery event and art fair coordination. They are expected to perform data entry, upload images and files to gallery information systems, and maintain gallery calendars, schedules, and exhibition websites.
About the role
The role of Gallery Assistant will support the Directors to deliver all aspects of programming and delivering gallery exhibitions, as well as the day to day running of the gallery. They will get to work with a wide range of artists and be a main point of contact for visitors. In conjunction with the Gallery Directors, they will assist with overseeing social media and content production and other design based and marketing activities, as well as additional key administrative and creative tasks.
Skills required for the role
- Knowledge and interest in the visual arts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good IT skills with knowledge of Microsoft, Excel & Photoshop.
- Social media skills & graphic design capabilities.
- Keen ability to comminate with others in an empathetic and considerate manner.
- Ability to multitask and prioritise when working to a deadline.
- Ability and desire to connect and communicate with a broad range of people.
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Some experience of project and/or event delivery.
- Experience working under pressure.
- PR and communications experience is a bonus.
- Provide administrative and general support to the gallery Directors.
- Staff the gallery desk and greet visitors on arrival, ensuring a safe and welcoming atmosphere.
- Respond to in person, telephone and general email enquiries.
- Assist with art fairs, events planning and delivery.
- Social media: Creating engaging digital content and working to maintain and increase digital engagement and audiences.
- Assist with graphic design content: Exhibition invitation, catalogues, social media assets.
- Operate gallery routines, including opening and closing and keeping a record of visitor figures.
- Provide visitors with relevant information about current and forthcoming exhibitions.
- Housekeeping duties: Maintain a tidy and ordered reception area and gallery spaces.
Hours: Part Time, Friday (12-6 pm) & Saturday, (11 am - 5 pm)*
*Additional work days may be required during installation periods and for assistance at art fairs.
Location: Brooke Benington, 76 Cleveland Street, London, W1T 6NB
Salary: £12 an hour (starting salary).
To apply: Please send a CV and a one-page cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline: Monday 17th April 2023 at 5 pm.
Start date: 13th May 2023.